Monday, April 21, 2008

Try (Day 30)

Bob Dylan - "Man Of Constant Sorrow"
The Magic Numbers - "Try"
Thelonious Monk - "Blue Monk"
I'm not gonna lie to you: It's Monday and I'm dragging ass. Combined with the usual family shenanigans was not one, not two, but three visits with relatives. Plus, already exhausted, I stayed up to watch the Mets lose last night in a late-ish game. Idiot. (Oh, and my daughter woke up at 4am and would not go back to sleep unless I lay in her bed...a toddler bed.) Hoping for something to soothe me into the work week I was treated to this standard from Monk. It did the trick. This seven minute song has a little bit of everything that makes him great: the syncopated piano, loose improvisation, unforgettable melodies, amazing back-up players. As I've mentioned on this blog before, I'm not a super aficionado when it comes to jazz, but I am a pretty big fan of classic bebop like this. So if you're interested I totally recommend the album this track is off of, 1964's Live at Jazz Workshop. What! You're not interested? Does this help?












Awesome beard, right?
DJ Danger Mouse - "Justify My Thug"
Shelby Lynne - "Sleep"
Sonny Rollins - "At McKie's"
This beard is not too shabby either. There is some great facial hair in jazz.












Beck - "Que' Onda Guero"
The Replacements - "Within Your Reach"
Along with appearing on Hootenanny, this song is on another soundtrack I forgot to put on my recent list of Soundtracks That Don't Suck: Say Anything. Sure, "In Your Eyes" became a cliche, but having Fishbone, the Chili Peppers, and, of course, The Replacements on a mainstream soundtrack from 1989 counts for something. Meanwhile, I was recently singing the praises of the movie to a co-worker and was met with a blank stare. Is it possible that 20-somethings don't know this movie? Lloyd freaking Dobbler! He's the owner of the best monologue by a suitor to a parent in movie history:
"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
Os Mutantes - "Le Premier Bonheur Du Jour"
The Frames - "Finally"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 47
Number of artists played today that BM has heard of: 7
Song with the most previous plays: "Try,
" "Que' Onda Guero" (tie) - 10
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I ran into someone I know while walking to the subway. I was definitely not feeling like a chat (see above), but I had no choice. After doing the is she gonna stop, should I stop dance, the headphones had to come out. Bummer.

3 comments:

comoprozac said...

Jazz Beards = Cool

Indie Beards = Over

Hippie Beards = What's that scraggly mess growing on your chin?

Anonymous said...

Other than the Replacements, I didn't connect with anything on today's list, but the story about your toddler really hit home. My daughter regularly did that to me when she was a year old. Fortunately I didn't have to squeeze into her bed - instead, we'd lay on her bedroom floor, side by side under blankets, until she fell asleep, and then I'd gently move her to her crib and haul myself back to bed. This went on for months. My back may never be the same.

GE said...

CP, you ever see Rivers Cuomo of Weezer when he had a huge beard? I kinda liked that look for him.

Pete, I'm glad to hear your daughter grew out of it. The IKEA toddler bed may be the death of me...