Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Mathematical Mind (Day 37)

The National - "Mr. November" (live)
Sufjan Stevens - "Kaskaskia River"
Cannonball Adderly - "One For Daddy-O"
Sufjan Stevens - "Kaskaskia River"
Cannonball Adderly - "One For Daddy-O"
Nope, there's nothing wrong with your monitor. I did just list the same 2 songs twice. Apparently I leaned on my iPod this morning and skipped backwards 2 tracks. As a result I repeated both the Sufjan and Cannonball tunes. And evidently I was a little too wrapped up in reading about the Mets 5-4 win in extra innings (great for the team very gritty victory, bad for my fantasy team which was denied the win from Johan Santana!), that I didn't even notice until I was about 2 minutes into the second playing of "One For Daddy-O." I then thought, Gee, I'm hearing 2 very similar jazz tunes this morning. A quick glance at the iPod revealed they're so similar, they're identical. Oops. Nice song in any case. (The short instrumental Sufjan outtake from The Avalanche barely registered both times.)
Elliott Smith - "Waltz #2 (XO)"
Spoon - "My Mathematical Mind"
Silkworm - "Bourbon Beard"
Well, since today's playlist already has a drunk feel thanks to the repeated songs, why not continue the theme. First off all, Silkworm is great. They are the early 90s Seattle band that somehow managed not to get famous - - which is generally good for fans (I think) and bad for band income. They oscillated from propulsive to reflective and created some great rock records. (See Firewater.) I didn't realize until recently that they disbanded when drummer Michael Dalquist was tragically killed in a car crash. AJS turned me on to the new project of original Silkworm-ers Tim Midgett and Andy Cohen called Bottomless Pit. It's good stuff - - sounds a lot like Silkworm, in fact. But back to "Bourbon Beard." It's a weird and laid back drinking song from the 2002 release Italian Platinum. Love the lyrics, like, “I don’t even like the taste of my bourbon beard / But I’d rather feel sleazy than desperate and crazed." I'm a recent bourbon convert myself. I like whiskey in general, but recently it's all about the bourbon. (The difference? I can probably dedicate an entire blog to it, but the basics are that bourbon is American whiskey that is made mostly from corn.) And all this brings me to the thrust of this aside. It's time for the first ever What I Listened To On My Way To Work Today product recommendation.

It's Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon Whiskey.
It's slightly sweet, a little bit smoky and very smooth. And only about $25 a bottle! If you like the brown liquors give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. (And if you too, Mr. Liquor Distributor, would like to see your firewater featured on this blog, send it over!)







Broken Social Scene - "Backyards"
Kings of Convenience - "Leaning Against The Wall"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 8* (*10 total songs, but seven different ones)
Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays: "My Mathematical Mind" - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I like me a sandwich, and today's NYT feature on the beloved meal consisting of something delicious slipped between 2 pieces of bread had me salivating at 9:30am.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

Personally, I like the Maker's Mark or Knob Creek. My partner and I prefer our bourbon in Manhattans. I'll have to give Corner Creek a try.