Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tin Tin Deo (Day 31)

Art Pepper - "Tin Tin Deo"
Apologies to my rock 'n roll loving friends: The iPod has apparently fallen hard for lady jazz, and the two are off to Jamaica for a quickie wedding and some baby-making. How else to explain all the selections of said genre coming up on the shuffle? Two more long-ish jazz tunes today (see also Dexter Gordon, below). Unfortunately, while both Art and Dexter are superb saxophone players, they are not as gifted when it comes to facial hair. They were both, however, imprisoned at one point in their lives for heroin possession. And you thought rappers lived the thug life. On that note, Miles Davis' autobiography is a crazy good read.
Johnny Cash - "Rusty Cage"
You gotta love the many covers Johnny recorded towards the end of his life for the American Recordings sessions with Rick Rubin. In many cases they're better than the originals. Along with this Soundgarden cover, he put his unmistakable mark on songs by Tom Petty, Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, Neil Young, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and, of course, U2. His version of "One" is classic - - and definitely better than the original. Take that Bono!
Devendra Banhart - "Todo Los Dolores"
Of Montreal - "October Is Eternal"
The White Stripes - "Shelter Of Your Arms"
Coldplay - "Shiver"
Remember when Coldplay was cool? Come on, there was a moment right after the release of Parachutes that they weren't thought of as more than just Radiohead-light. I know it's lame, but I still kinda like them. And Lite-FM. And long walks on the beach. Have you clicked away yet?
Dexter Gordon - "Coppin' The Haven"
Margot & The Nuclear So And So's - "A Light On A Hill"
Yo La Tengo - "Autumn Sweater"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 9
Total minutes of music (approx.): 46
Number of artists played today that BM has heard of: 7
Song with the most previous plays: "Tin Tin Deo" - 4

Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I got in late because I had to take my cat to the vet. His name is Henry and he is obese - - 22 pounds and counting. If I had a picture I'd post it here and it would probably go viral.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

Admittedly, I remember when Coldplay was cool. It didn't last long, though. I got tired of people asking why I was playing Dave Matthews.

Man, I love "Autumn Sweater".

danielle said...

Hey, I linked to your blog in my latest post, which was inspired by your seemingly inexhaustible knowledge and good taste when it comes to music. I don't know enough about music to write about it all the time, but I figured you might be impressed with the Shuffle function on my iPod after you see my playlist for last Friday. And I bet there's a way you could connect all the songs together, even though I've only connected a few. (I could connect Elvis with the Beatles, but didn't take the time to do so. Eh, I'm rather lazy!)
db