Wednesday, April 2, 2008

El Manana (Day 17)

Bruce Springsteen - "Livin' In The Future"
Magnetic Fields - "Too Drunk To Dream"
Bruce Springsteen - "You're Missing"
The Boss makes two early appearances on the playlist today. True they are tracks from his two most recent records, but I wouldn't kick either song out of bed. I enjoy both records, maybe Magic a bit more for its throwback, classic E Street Band feel. Meanwhile, Bruce and I have a funny relationship. Of course I don't know the guy, but I do find it humorously ironic that I grew up in New Jersey and couldn't give a shit about him while I lived there. Maybe it was having "Bruuuuuuce" chants echoing in the corridors of my high school. Of course, I get to college and my first best pal (also from Jersey) has to sit me down and make me really listen to Bruce Springsteen. Maybe it was the distance (we were now in Michigan). Maybe it was being able to block out all the baggage. Maybe it was that I was a slightly more mature human being. In any case, my head was set straight. The only other thing I want to add about Bruce right now is that he's the only artist (I've found) that can actually make you get up off your couch and pump your fists when you're simply watching a performance on TV. His HBO concert taped in NYC (in 2003, was it?), was the best musical experience I think I've ever had in my living room. The Boss man can bring it in concert. Sadly, I've only seen him live once: At Giants Stadium, as far away from the stage as you can possibly be, in the rain. It still rocked.
Son Volt - "Beacon Soul"
Del McCoury & Steve Earle - "Your Forever Blue"
Gorillaz - "El Manana"
Josh Rouse - "Sunshine (Come On Lady)"
T Bone Burnett - "Blinded By The Darkness"
Tenacious D - "Friendship Test"
Tenacious D - "Cock Pushups"
Weird iPod anomaly: Two Tenacious D tracks back-to-back today...and both are "skits." (Also, heard one two days ago as well, weird.) Love The D, hate these stupid bits. In fact I hate between song skits on all albums. A lot of hip-hop artists, many whom I like (De La Soul, The Roots, Outkast, etc), feel the need to intersperse these suckers too. Please don't. Although this exchange on "Cock Pushups" does crack me up every time.
KG: Hmm...how many pushups can you do?
JB: Cock pushups?
KG: Yeah...I guess, you could only do one really.
JB: Yeah, one is all ya need.
So true.
The Polyphonic Spree - "Section 22 [Running Away]"
Arctic Monkeys - "From The Ritz To The Rubble"
The Good, The Bad And The Queen - "80s Life"
Joy Division - "Failures"
Neil Young - "Motion Pictures"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 15
Total minutes of music (approx.): 52
Song with the most previous plays:
"El Manana" - 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Remember yesterday's good cheer about Opening Day, the Mets, etc? It's gone.

No comments: