Monday, April 7, 2008

Sunday Under Glass (Day 20)

Dolorean - "Put You To Sleep"
Giant Sand - "Lean"
The Flaming Lips - "The Spark That Bled"
Sunday Under Glass - "Beulah"
The National - "Murder Me Rachael"
Tenacious D - "Wonderboy"
Miles Davis - "Fall"
Viva Voce - "Drown Them Out"
Uncle Tupelo - "Postcard"
Damien Rice - "Accidental Babies"
My Morning Jacket - "Oxen" (live)
I don't think I've mentioned My Morning Jacket in this space yet, but they're a band I like a lot right now. They are yet another outfit working through and updating what is basically a roots-y rock sound that I'm very vulnerable to. (In fact Angry John is very aware of this specific area of my eclectic taste in music - - and resents it, of course - - but he was still kind enough to recommend MMJ. He basically guaranteed I'd like them, and I went out and bought It Still Moves without even hearing a note of their music. It turns out to be one of AJS' best suggestion since advocating the combination of beer and a bar-top video game called Hot Hoops. But that's a story for another day...) Unfortunately MMJ is a band that highlights a condition I am currently suffering from called Not-Enough-Live-Muisc-itis. The symptoms I believe are obvious, the cause is more complicated. There was a time that I would see any and every band that I remotely had any interest in. And I'd see them multiple times. (The number of They Might Be Giants concerts I've seen may be in the double-digits. Need more proof?) Over the past few years
(5 or 6) that's changed considerably. The last show I saw was Kings of Leon (like 'em, don't love 'em, was more about hanging out with a couple of friends) about 9 months ago. About another 9 months before that I saw the Silver Jews (fun time again, not a great show). Obviously other more important things have superseded going to concerts (family, scarcity of free time, budgetary restrictions: in other words, boring, adult stuff). Mostly I'm okay with it, but every once in a while I get the urge and feel remorseful. And occasionally there is a band that I just really want to see live. MMJ is one of those bands. (Another band in today's set that falls into this category is The National.) I think their sound would lend itself to a great show (lots of room to experiment, jam etc.), and the live tracks I've heard only reinforce that. Naturally they tour a bunch, but every time they come to town I manage to miss them. Just recently a friend mentioned he has tickets to see them at Radio City Music Hall in June. It's sold out. I won't be there - - again.
Branford Marsalis Quartet - "Steep's New Tune"
Elvis Presley - "Good Rockin' Tonight"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 66
Song with the most previous plays: (tie)
"Put You To Sleep," "Sunday Under Glass" - 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I really don't want this to become a forum to complain about the MTA, but, yes, my commute really
did suck again today. And actually it's impossible to fault the MTA (this time) because both trains I take to work had serious delays due to sick passengers. So really, the fact that it took me over an hour to get to work today is most likely due to lactose intolerance or one too many chalupas or some other gastrointestinal scourge. (Apologies if anyone was seriously ill.)

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I too have a hankering for roots-y rock (aka alt-country, whatever that is). I don't think you should feel ashamed of this. Be proud in your alt-country love.

I have worried about not being able to see shows in the near future...and you live in NYC. We get maybe 10-12 worthwhile shows a year in COMO, and I already miss too many.

GE said...

You have a kid on the way, right? Get used to it my friend...fast.