Monday, April 28, 2008

Nothing Was Delivered (Day 35)

Damien Rice - "9 Lives"
Nirvana - "Help Me I'm Hungry"
Nick Love - "Long Limbed Girl"
M Ward - "Regeneration No. 1"
Red House Painters - "Another Song For A Blue Guitar"
The Good, The Bad And The Queen - "The Good, The Bad And The Queen"
Teenage Fanclub - "Fear Of Flying"
We interrupt this program for a little musical ass kissing. Lately it seems all I want to write about his how much I love this band or that musician. Unfortunately I can't buck that treacly trend this AM because, well, I love Teenage Fanclub. I'm not just talking about the indie masterpiece Bandwagonesque that got their own bandwagon rolling. (I think Spin, when Spin was cool, picked it as the best album of 1991 over Nevermind, and I was both surprised and impressed.) But I enjoy everything - - and I mean everything - - this Scottish group did before and since their breakthrough. When others seemed to lose interest, I thought they only got better. Who else will stand up now with me and say, "Songs From Northern Britain is a gorgeous masterpiece"? What? None of you. Come on! The soaring harmonies. The jangly guitars. Go back. Listen to it. The we'll talk. Meanwhile, this song appeared on the follow-up to Bandwagonesque which was a decidedly grungier and more guitar-driven affair (which I loved, naturally).
Bob Dylan & The Band - "Nothing Was Delivered"
Gut Feeling - "Devo"
Neil Young - "Heart Of Gold" (live)
Modest Mouse - "Sleep Walkin'"
This is one of those songs that I made a mental note to research when I got into the office. I like Modest Mouse, but I'm not an uber-completist. So this track was actually unfamiliar and struck me because it's not your average MM fare. Isaac Brock's voice is still unmistakable. but he was joined by a female vocalist in a country-tinged 50s sounding duet that appears on the singles and B-sides collection, Building Nothing Out of Something. Had to go to the Intrawebs to find out that the female voice belongs to Nicole Johnson - - and no further information about her could be found. BUT, I did learn that the melody of this song was taken from an actual 50s tune called "Sleep Walk" by Santo & Johnny. Who are they you ask? Two brothers from Brooklyn (yeeah, boyyy!), who scored a number one hit in 1959. Best part of their story is that their dad was away in the army when he heard some steel guitar on the radio. He wrote home to his wife, "I'd like the boys to learn to play this instrument." Good thing he wasn't listening to glockenspiel music!
John Doe - "Worried Brow"
Her Space Holiday - "Something To Do With My Hands"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 50
Song with the most previous plays: "Nothing Was Delivered," "Something To Do With My Hands" - 5
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I saw this sign on the subway.















Can you make out what this says? The MTA does not want you to lean on the subway car doors, imploring you to instead "Lean on your best friend for the $50 he owes you." This is New York City, so you have to assume that the MTA is condoning breaking your friend's leg or cutting off his middle finger. Seems like a strange message to send, no?

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

Admittedly, I once lost interest in teenage Fanclub. Then, I saw them open for Bettie Serveert (or maybe it was the other way around) in Seattle at the Crocodile Club. They were really quite good.

That Modest Mouse track originally was on the Interstate 8 EP. The live/demo-y tracks at the end of the EP were the highlights for me.

GE said...

Thanks for reminding me, CP. I forgot to even mention how great they are live. Their show at the Knitting Factory in NYC in 1996 (I think) was incredible. Their cover of Yo La Tengo's "I Heard You Looking"...oh my.

Anonymous said...

Songs from Nothern Britain is a gorgeous materpiece! When they came to Brazil I went to their 3 consecutive concerts in Sao Paulo. And got my Teenage Fanclub panties autographed by all of them (yes, I have panties with "Teenage Fanclub" printed on the back — and by "back" I mean "ass"). And then I partied with them and that was years ago and I still can't shut up about it. Sorry. The urge to talk about that evening is just stronger than me. xoxo flacouto

GE said...

Thanks for stopping by, Flacouto. That's a great story - - and it goes a long way towards explaining why just about every guy wishes he was in a rock n' roll band.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I could make new underwear with YOUR name on it. hahaha! Do you think after you autograph it I wouldn't be able to shut up about it? xoxo flacouto