Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Red Staggerwing (Day 36)

Alejandro Escovedo - "The Boxing Mirror"
Serge Gainsbourg - "L'Ami Caouette"
Stephen Malkmus - "Black Magic"
Meat Puppets - "Magic Toy Missing"
A side note here, but not so much about the Meat Puppets (although they are unique purveyors of what, I think, is best described as hillbilly punk). Rather, this reminds me of a gross/funny thing that happened recently. My two-and-a-half-year-old is coming off a nasty cold and on Friday she was battling a fever and really not her self. She was extremely tired and grumpy and as I was putting her to bed, she made a request for some milk in "Elmo cup." Although not a toy per say, "Elmo cup" seems to posses some magic and is definitely her go-to cup. Unfortunately, said cup was in the dishwasher, so I offered to get her another cup. Bad idea. A tantrum the likes of which I have never seen ensued.
She was crying so hard she couldn't speak, and, it seemed, could barely breathe. In an effort to calm her down, I picked her up and held her in my arms. The crying quickly became coughing. The coughing then became retching. The retching became, you guessed it, vomit. Next time I will not hesitate to interrupt the dishwasher's drying cycle. (Apologies if you happen to be eating your lunch.)
Fruit Bats - "When You Love Somebody"
This song was a nice surprise on today's playlist. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with the Fruit Bats other than that they are a rare acoustic band that is (was?) signed to SubPop records. This song has a sunny melody, but the lyrics capture a slightly darker side of amore: "When U love somebody and bite your tongue all you get is a mouthful of blood." I headed over to Senor Wiki for some more info and learned something very interesting. The man behind Fruit Bats, Eric Johnson, has gone and joined The Shins. I think that sounds like a pretty good career move for him.

The Beatles - "Drive My Car"
Ida - "Past The Past"
Interpol - "NYC"
Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - "Red Starggerwing"
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "Warm-up"
Stephen Malkmus - "Mama"
Television - "Carried Away"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 42
Song with the most previous plays: "Red Staggerwing" - 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I read the following line in today's New York Times story about the newest reality show/trainwreck/guilty pleasure, The Farmer Takes A Wife. (The statement refers to the women who appear on the show, on which suitors vie for the affections of a handsome young farmer.) "...[M]ost profess to be more interested in finding a soul mate than in being on television - - which why, of course, they signed up for a reality dating program." Rimshot! That, my friends, is humor - - New York Times style.

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

Friends of mine have a nearly-one-year-old who vomits if they don't rush to her bedside as soon as she wakes. The kid has them wrapped around her finger...Not to say that is anything like your situation. It was just the whole vomiting thing.

Fruit Bats? Nice. I think members of this band also played in Isaac Brock's side project, Ugly Casanova.

GE said...

Ooh that sounds bad. Fortunately she's not a regular vomiter.

Ugly Casanova any good?

Uncle E said...

How do you like the new Stephen Malkmus album?

GE said...

Like it, don't love it, Uncle E. It seems like that driving guitar sound has replaced the angular charm of the Malkmus of yore. To be honest, I haven't even listened to it that much. I think that says it all.

comoprozac said...

GE, you called it on the SM record. Ugly Casanova is good. I wish he would record another album, although it would be very different now with all his success.