Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Beanbag Chair (Day 21)

Mark Mothersbaugh - "Let Me Tell You About My Boat"
Strange little tune to kick things off today courtesy of The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou soundtrack. Since I already mentioned my fondness for Wes Anderson, I'll take a moment to talk about soundtracks in general. They're not my favorite thing. Music in a film is obviously supremely important and so often makes the film great, but listening to the soundtrack removed from the images is like having a sandwich without the bread (or some other better metaphor). Also, there are two distinctions to be made here. Obviously genuine songs on a soundtrack make a great listen and can live comfortably on an iPod playlist. But this is not a "song." It's really an instrumental tune that sets a scene in the movie. The reason this soundtrack is even on my iPod is because of the cool Seu Jorge Bowie covers. (If you haven't heard them, check it out. Basically this Brazilian singer-songwriter covers Bowie - - in Portuguese!) Of course I could have left the Jorge tunes and deleted the rest, but this goes against my completist sensibilities. There aren't too may soundtracks represented on the iPod: A Hard Days Night, Darjeeling Limited, The Harder They Come, The Pick of Destiny - - I think that might be all. In terms of all-time great soundtracks, IMHO (and using my criteria of being comprised mostly of "songs," not incidental music), I'd have to list the following: The Harder They Come, Rushmore, Saturday Night Fever, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Purple Rain, The Graduate, Dazed and Confused, High Fidelity, Kids, Boogie Nights, Singles, Reservoir Dogs, Goodfellas...what'd I miss?
The Elected - "I'll Be Your Man"
Money Mark - "Brand New By Tomorrow"
The Besnard Lakes - "For Agent 13"
Yo La Tengo - "Beanbag Chair"
Nirvana - "Hairspray Queen"
Of Montreal - "Eagle-Shaped Mirror" (live)
Franz Ferdinand - "Do You Want To"
Common - "Real People"
The Fall - "Craigness"
Sonic Youth - "Rats"
Max Roach - "Mr. X"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 47
Song with the most previous plays: "Beanbag Chair
" - 11
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I have next to no interest in March Madness. I'm just not a huge basketball fan, plus my attention this time of year is diverted by the start of baseball season. But, after reading the Sports section this morning I realized I missed a classic championship game last night. Wish I'd watched.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cast votes for "Big Night" and the recent "I'm Not There," which is probably more purely enjoyable than the movie.

comoprozac said...

They released a CD of just Seu Jorge's Bowie covers separate from the soundtrack. I think there are a couple of extra tracks on that release, but I'm not sure. I'd check iTunes and just download the tracks you don't have.

I have to say i like all those soundtracks. Maybe my favorite track on a soundtrack ever is "Drown" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

I have to concur with BM on the Dylan soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

G.E.!!!

What's up, my friend? I was catching up with AJS' blog today and found out about your sojourn into the digital slipstream.

Congratulations on the new arrival (and the previous one, and the wedding!). Lots to catch up on -- would love to hear from you. Drop a line at

bhm12373@hotmail.com

ps - I'm down with a Hot Hoops tourney the next time I'm in NY. You call Ari and I'll call Samantha.

pcup said...

Superfly, Shaft, Help. Pretty in Pink? Why not? Good Will Hunting comes to mind, because I like Elliot Smith - but don't know how good the whole album is.

Anonymous said...

Juno
Acid house
Brown Bunny
Garden state
24 hour party people

PS: Seu Jorge is not portuguese. He is brazilian. People speak portuguese in Brazil. Surprised?

GE said...

Thanks for the soundtrack suggestions, all. Good ones. Although pcup, can you vouch for all the songs on the Shaft/Superfly soundtracks besides the title tracks. Just wondering because I don't remember them. Also, anonymous, don't know the Brown Bunny soundtrack but I did like the soundtrack for the Vincent Gallo film Buffalo '66 a lot. His use of Yes' "Heart of the Sunrise" was awesome. Also, thanks for clarifying Seu's nationality: I am quite aware that they speak Portugese in Brazil… simply farted out this fact without even thinking/checking.

Anonymous said...

I would have to suggest, especially as a Wes Anderson fan, that The Royal Tenenbaums had an incredibly well woven, semi-diverse soundtrack...or perhaps I feel that way because I have such an affinity for the movie.

GE said...

Tenenbaums, yes! Very good call. Love when Gwyneth Paltrow gets off the bus and Nico's "These Days" is playing.