Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Dude [I Totally Miss You] (Day 40)

Tenacious D - "Dude (I Totally Miss You)"
Ahh, The D. What strikes me first while listening to this ditty off The Pick of Destiny soundtrack is just how long this musical comedy duo has been around. The full-length D movie (long-awaited by some, present company included) finally came out in 2006. But the original HBO series first aired back in 1997. And personally, KG and JB will always feature prominently in my memories of a very fun Y2K New Year's Eve party. A bunch of friends and I rented a house in Vermont and the well-worn VHS tape (how's that for ancient history?) of all the HBO episodes was played on a loop the entire weekend. (Angry John also DJ'ed sans shirt, but that's another story.) So after being able to quote every episode, finally seeing "the greatest band in the world" live and buying the DVD, the movie was lustily awaited. Oh well. Granted the D had set the bar very high, but come on! The Pick of Destiny failed pretty miserably. There are a few moments of hilarity and even a couple of songs that I still enjoy [this one is okay, as is "Kickapoo," and for some strange reason I really like listening to "Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)"]; but TPOD has to rate among the biggest Anticipation To Actualization failures in my personal pop culture history. Of course, it's not on the Phantom Menace end on the spectrum (unrecoverable), but it still stings. Speaking of
Anticipation To Actualization, anyone taking bets on The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I'm trying to keep expectations as low as possible. So, here's my preview: It will suck. (Obviously, I can't wait to see it.) What do you think?



The Divine Comedy - "Snowball In Negative"
Meat Puppets - "Split Myself In Two"
Glen Hansard - "Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy"
Marah - "Pizzeria"
Yeasayer - "Red Cave"
Nirvana - "Beans" (Home Recording)
The Shins - "Kissing The Lipless"
Yo La Tengo - "Big Day Coming"
Ryan Adams - "Come Pick Me Up"
Son Volt - "Ipacec"
The Walkmen - "Lost In Boston"
Rufus Wainright - "Danny Boy"
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "Moanin'"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 14
Total minutes of music (approx.): 54
Song with the most previous plays: "Dude (I Totally Miss You)," "Big Day Coming," "Come Pick Me Up" (tie) - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: A bike messenger almost killed me. I was crossing the street (I had the light, naturally) and he came barreling towards me (he did not have the light). After just missing me, he turned around and gave me a big wave and a smile. This actually made me not hate him.

No comments: