Friday, May 23, 2008

This Is Just A Modern Rock Song (Day 53)

Elliott Smith - "Angeles"
Belle & Sebastian - "This Is Just A Modern Rock Song"
Reigning Sound - "Dressy"
Fleet Foxes - "Ragged Wood"
This blog is clearly not going to help clue you in to the Next Big Thing, but this may be my shot at spreading the gospel of a band on the edge of stardom. (And by stardom I, of course, mean they might sell a few thousand CDs.) Check out Fleet Foxes. What do they sound like? Well, let's just say I was pretty convinced I was hearing a My Morning Jacket song that somehow I wasn't too familiar with. This tune is very reminiscent of older MMJ with the its folk-rock sound and distinctive vocals that sound remarkably like Jim James. Fleet Foxes are actually a Seattle band led by a guy named Robin Pecknold and I'm pretty excited to hear their self-titled debut album which is due out June 3. (On Subpop records, actually.) There are some songs bouncing around the Web (including this one), if you're interested. If you like MMJ, I'm offering the What I Listened To On My Way To Work guarantee that you will like Fleet Foxes. (Disclaimer: The What I Listened To On My Way To Work guarantee has no monetary value.)
The White Stripes - "Ashtray Heart"
The Jayhawks - "All The Right Reasons"
Bishop Allen - "Like Castanets"
Magnolia Electric Co. - "The Night Shift Lullaby"
Norah Jones - "Little Room"
The Beatles - "If I Needed Someone"
Led Zeppelin - "Dazed and Confused"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 52
Song with the most previous plays: "This Is Just A Modern Rock Song," "The Night Shift Lullaby" (tie) - 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I saw this picture on the back of one of the tabloids.



















That is a picture of New York Mets manager Willie Randolph in the dugout at Turner Field as his team was humiliated once again by the Atlanta Braves. (The young man above the dugout is wielding a broom because this latest loss makes it a four-game sweep for the Braves.) This picture says a lot. Willie is now a man alone. Support has eroded among fans, ownership and perhaps even teammates. I'm not one to call for the manager's head when things are going quite right (after all, he does not swing the bat with runner's in scoring position). But, this team is clearly sick. I'm not sure what will mend it, but you can't fire Carlos Delgado, Luis Castillo, Aaron Heilman, Carlos Betlran, Jose Reyes, Oliver Perez and any other of the under-performing members of the team. I'm sorry, Willie, but if things don't turn around fast I may join the chorus. This is a really tough part of their schedule too. They head to Colorado tonight to play three at the always-tough Coors Field and then come back to Shea to play three against the NL East leading (crazy, but true) Florida Marlins. After that, they have three games against the Dodgers before heading straight back to the West Coast. In Cali, they'll play the Giants and Padres before finally getting a day off on June 9. Yikes. Pedal to the metal boys - - your manager depends on it.

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

You saw my Mason Jennings and raised me a Fleet Foxes.

sarah said...

I just found your blog, and I think it's my new favorite thing. Random great songs + baseball=infinite joy!

GE said...

Thanks, Sarah. Although I may not mention baseball for a while. There is no joy in Metsville.

sarah said...

It's getting better in Metsville! I became a Mets fan when I was 7 (in spite of the fact that I grew up in eastern KY, where everyone likes Cincinnati), and it's been a long and bumpy road. Thank God for music, making everything better :)

GE said...

Sarah, how did you ever become a Mets fan in eastern KY? Love it.