Monday, May 12, 2008

Rhythm-A-Ning (Day 44)

Teenage Fanclub - "Commercial Alternative"
Destroyer - "European Oils"
XTC - "Helicopter"
The Beatles - "I Dig A Pony" (alternate mono mix)
Branford Marsalis Quartet - "Black Elk Speaks"
Call Mulder and Scully, the iPod is reflecting my personal life again. Two songs with animals in the title - - back-to-back. Normally I'd shrug this off, but how can I since I spent Sunday (aka Mother's Day) at the Bronx Zoo! Granted I did not dig a pony (although I did spy some sort of pygmy horse) and there were no black elk, speaking or otherwise, (although a bunch of lumbering bison); but still! The zoo rocked (much harder than anything on today's playlist), even if the two-and-a-half-year-old spent most of the day acting like we were actually taking her to, say, the dentist and not a place universally lauded by children. I was surprised, she's generally an animal lover and there was some serious critter to ogle. (There were, in no particular order, grizzly bear, polar bear, giraffes, lions, tigers, alligators, gorillas, baboons, monkeys out the yin-yang, and so much more.) The gorillas saved the day, however. The zoo's Congo Gorilla Forest exhibit is amazing. When you walk into the viewing area this is basically what you see:














Literally, these dudes are this close, and looking right at you. (Or more likely waiting on some grub that his thrown by zookeepers slyly hanging out on the roof of the enclosed area.) In any case, you are face-to-face with a slightly less evolved and (in my case) slightly hairier version of yourself. Even the toddler,
with her face pressed against the glass, couldn't deny the awesomeness.
Dexter Gordon - "Soul Sister"
Gerry Mulligan & Thelonious Monk - "Rhythm-A-Ning"
The White Stripes - "Though I Hear You Calling I Will Not Answer"
Wilco - "Radio Cure"
Fleet Foxes - "Sun Giant"
Charlotte Gainsbourg - "The Song That We Sing"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 46
Song with the most previous plays: "Rhythm-A-Ning" - 10
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I read in this small item the New York Times that John McCain is a big fan of The Office. Funny, I always pegged him for more of a Two And A Half Men kind a guy...

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

The Columbus Zoo is one of the country's best. You should try it out...if you ever dare set foot in Buckeye territory. Seriously, that's got to be fun seeing that stuff through the eyes of you kid.

GE said...

It's pretty much the best. You'll see....