Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kickapoo (Day 56)

Lucinda Williams - "Return of the Grievous Angel"
I kinda bashed Lucinda the other day, so here's a little praise. This is one of my all-time favorite covers. It's a rollicking version of the classic Gram Parsons tune (with David Crosby singing back-up). And while the original is a great progenitor of country rock (with Emmylou Harris singing back-up), Lucinda's version is a fantastic update that spins it into a classic road song. Roll down the windows and turn it up.
Beulah - "Me And Jesus Don't Talk Anymore"
Josh Rouse - "Streetlights"
Elliott Smith - "Let's Get Lost"
Colin Meloy - "Barbara Allen" (live)
Tapes 'n Tapes - "Hang Them All"
I was one of those people that got hooked fast by Tapes 'n Tapes debut album, The Loon. But to be honest their sophomore album hasn't gotten a lot of play. (I actually thought this was a Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah song - - oops.) I'm not ready to say I'm over the band, but I do miss the Pixies-like quirk they showed on that first album. I mean "The Iliad" sounds like an outtake from Bossanova, don't ya think. This is actually a pretty good modern rock tune - - it may have been the single, actually - - so I think I may give Walk It Off another shot.
Tenacious D - "Kickapoo"
My Morning Jacket - "Dondante"
Gringerman - "I Don't Need You (To Set Me Free)"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 9
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays: "Kickapoo" - 10
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Took a little detour on the way in. My wife and I had to stop by our daughter's preschool for a meet and greet. The result, a short-ish playlist and post - - and an amped up 2-and-a-half-year-old who ate 2 bagels and ran around a gym for an hour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, never heard that Grievous Angel cover before. Thanks. Love the blog.

comoprozac said...

I was just talking to a friend about Tapes 'n Tapes. She feels that she should stay loyal to the band even when the rest of the blogosphere has turned their back. I don't know about the new one. I may have to give it another listen.