Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Hardest Part (Day 191)

The Beastie Boys - "High Plains Drifter"
Guided By Voices - "How's My Drinking"
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - "The Hardest Part"
Pavement - "Summer Baby (7" Version)"
Thao & The Get Down, Stay Down - "Swimming Pools"
Jim James - "Bermuda Highway" (live)
Wilco - "Lookin' For A Lover" (live)
Jim Noir - "Key Of C"
Track Star - "Owen's Ghetto Punch"'
The Thorns - "Thorns"
M Ward - "Poison Cup"
The Forms - "Transmission"
Mercury Rev - "Opus 40"
Damien Rice - "Grey Room"
Stereolab - "Les Bon Bons Des Raisons"
The Sundays - "Summertime"
Hello, blogosphere. Hope you had a good week. I was in the San Francisco area visiting family...with the family. Did you see me? If so, why didn't you say 'hi'? No matter, we can still be friends. Nice, long playlist today which included a trip to the gym as well as work. And as I got to the office this song popped up. I have never mentioned The Sundays before because I only recently put them on my iPod. Not that I'm a huge fan, but I ripped it off a coworker's iTunes in one of those why-the-hell-not moments when I had some fond memory of their breezy early 90s hit "Here's Where The Story Ends." Well the strangest thing happened as this song played. Now I'm almost a 100% sure I've never heard it. I do believe I owned their debut album Reading, Writing and Arithmetic on some format, but I never bought any of their subsequent records. Yet this song gave me an almost immediate and palpable memory. I pictured myself on an airplane listening to this very song on headphones. Really, it was such a strong feeling that I'm pretty convinced it happened. The song is off the album Static & Silence from 1997, which I definitely did not own until 2 weeks ago. Was it a mix someone made for me? Maybe, but I doubt it. My only possible conclusion involves those horribly lame music channels they have on the plane. There's a chance out of boredom I could have put on one of the "alternative" channels to help me fall asleep. Wouldn't that be a trip if I heard this song one time in my life and now, perhaps 10 years later, could place exactly where I was when I did? Has anything like this ever happened to you? The most ironic part is that this song is not that memorable.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 16
Total minutes of music (approx.): 56
Song with the most previous plays: "The Hardest Part" - 15
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: My daughter requested I hang out at school this morning before leaving her for 11 minutes. Not 10, not 12...11 minutes.

No comments: