Friday, February 20, 2009

How Should It Be (Sha Sha) [Day 190]

Bruce Springsteen - "Thunder Road" (live)
Weird little playlist today: Started out with this uber-recognizable ditty and then devolved into one of those, "Wait, is that...?" kind of scenarios for just about every other song. How about this song though? It may be on that nearly impossible list to ever tabulate: Best Songs Of All-Time. Do you think it's even possible to make you a Top 10 Favorite Songs list? I say no. Ten is just not fair. One hundred seems much more plausible - - but it would be so damn hard. So "Thunder Road" would clearly be on my Top 100 (maybe even Top 20)...as would Golden Earring's "Radar Love." There, I said it. So, back to "Thunder Road." This is the live version from the fairly recent Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 release. It's a great solo, piano version. And, seriously, what other song (or book or poem, for that matter) captures a feeling of trying to escape small-town despair and being on the precipice of freedom and romantic adventure better? The answer is no song.
Os Mutantes - "Balada do louco"
Yardbirds - "Little Games"
James - "Burn The Cat"
Ben Kweller - "How Should It Be (Sha Sha)"
The Hold Steady - "Navy Sheets"
John Vanderslice - "White Plains"
Feist - "Brandy Alexander"
Stephen Malkmus - "Troubbble"
The American Analog Set - "Jr"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 36
Song with the most previous plays: "How Should It Be (Sha Sha)" - 12
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: My last trip to work for a week. Vacation next week. See ya!

3 comments:

pcup said...

"what other song . . . captures a feeling of trying to escape small-town despair and being on the precipice of freedom and romantic adventure better?"

not so coincidentally, the other candidate seems to be "born to run."

comoprozac said...

That's why I rarely make a definitive list of best songs in any context. It's too difficult. Artists or albums? Those are much easier. A song is too personal, individualized.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Springsteen fan (my Bruce-fanatic freshman year roommate, whom I quickly grew to hate, probably has a lot to do with that) but I've always loved that song. I'm heading over to iTunes to download it right now.