Friday, March 13, 2009

Crying Won't Help You Now (Day 192)

Guided By Voices - "Always Crush Me"
The Starlight Mints - "Zillion Eyes"
The Raconterus - "Hands"
Flight Of The Conchords - "I'm Not Crying"
Josh Ritter - "Idaho"
Love - "Your Mind And We Belong Together"
Kind of a weird playlist today. I was sort of getting this feeling that I was listening to someone else's iPod, or my own bizarro iPod. Yes the artists were mostly familiar, but the shuffle definitely seemed to be leaning towards those lesser played tunes. Checking the stats at work confirmed it. In fact, 4 out today's 13 songs I was hearing for the first time ever (on the iPod). Meaning I dumped the songs on here and thanks mostly to frequent shuffling never had the chance to listen to them. This was the first first-timer, and I'm surprised because I've certainly got a lot of plays out of the Forever Changes CD at home. I always considered this album by Love and Arthur Lee to be an unsung 60s classic. To me it really sounds dated - - but in a good way. Sometimes you want that baroque, psychedelic sound that still reeks of cannabis. (Love fun fact: Evidently Neil Young was supposed to co-produce Forever Changes, but he got caught up in Buffalo Springfield commitments. Who knew?) Among the other virginal songs today:
"Todo Mundo Pastou II" (Not surprising: It's really one of those tossed-off album closers that sounds like someone let the tape run too long, from the Brazilian band's 1972 album [with a name that just rolls off the tongue] E Seus Cometas No País Do Baurets); "La Bayamesa" (From the infamous Buena Vista Social Club album that I was in love with for a while, but only recently put on my iPod.) and "Blue Clouds" (Just another purdy song from the always underrated Ida.)
Os Mutantes - "Todo Mundo Pastou II"
Josh Rouse - "Life"
Giant Sand - "Lester Lampshade"
Ben Harper - "Crying Won't Help You Now"
Buena Vista Social Club - "La Bayamesa"
The Olivia Tremor Control - "California Demise Pt. 1"
Ida - "Blue Clouds"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 40
Song with the most previous plays: "Idaho," "Crying Won't Help You Now" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I have a problem. I had plenty of coffee at home (3-4 cups), but when I took my daughter for a muffin I had to order another cup...and then get one at work. I must be peeing pure caffeine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Greg. Long time no see.
You must think I love the Mutantes, and I do like them a lot, but the reason I always comment when you write about them is only one: I'm brazilian and I like to tell you things I think you don't know about. Hahaha.
So, this record is actually called "Mutantes e seus cometas no país dos Baurets", which means "Mutantes and their comets in the land of baurets". Baurets was slang for weed. The word was invented by Tim Maia, whose records you really should download. He made 70's brazilian soul, and recorded a few albums in english. If you're interested, I got a lot more to tell you about him, 'cause I just read his biography. The guy was a real character.
xoxo,
Fla Couto