Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Don't Go Down (Day 188)

Silkworm - "Don't Make Plans This Friday"
Elliott Smith - "Don't Go Down"
The Beastie Boys - "High Plains Drifter"
Pinback - "Shag"
Son Volt - "Adrenaline and Heresy"
The Go-Betweens - "Born To A Family"
The National - "Beautiful Head"
The Polyphonic Spree - "Section 24 [The Fragile Army]"
Honestly, I was half asleep on my way to work today. ipodwidow is out of town so I'm doing single parent duty for a couple of nights. No biggie, but it's nice to share the load with someone else when a certain 10-month-old wakes up at 12:26 AM seemingly convinced in his still-developing brain that it's morning. It took an hour-and-a-half to change his mind. Anyway, this was the first song to kind of wake me out of my stupor. I never noticed until today how Bowie-like the Spree are. There's that exaggerated drama of art rock and even the vocals have a DB-like tinge. The drama is in spades too. Spare opening piano, followed by booming chorus and even theatrical bits like the sound of typing make this song a lot of fun.
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - "Firecracker" (live)
Thelonious Monk - "Well You Needn't"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 47
Song with the most previous plays: "Don't Go Down" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Some of the kids in my daughter's class apparently dictated to their teachers the story behind some pictures they'd drawn. My kids' was longer than the others. Sorry I couldn't get the actual picture in the frame too, but please note the monster's healthy alternative to eating other children.

4 comments:

Rodger Coleman said...

So did your iPod recover? Or did you get a new device? Or what?

comoprozac said...

Didn't the Spree do a tour or project with Bowie at some point?

Also, what is it with babies who don't know the difference between night and day? Shouldn't that issue have been ironed out through evolution?

GE said...

Oh, right! Sorry, Roger, I forgot to follow-up. The sad truth is it started working again. What does a guy have to do to break his iPod around here?

And CP, you're right, the baby-sleep conundrum will be a mystery for eternity. Too bad there's no funing for further study in the stimulus package.

(Also, happy belated birthday.)

KR said...

Hee hee. That story is both hilarious and precious. Gotta protect those kitty cats, too!