Friday, June 13, 2008

Sugar Magnolia (Day 67)

**Today marks a bit of a departure for the What I Listened To On My Way To Work Today blog. I did in fact listen to the following songs, but they were on the radio and not my iPod. I'm going out of town this weekend and a friend needed his car driven up north so I volunteered to take it. That means I needed to bring it into Manhattan this morning so I can head out straight after work. Now that's a lot of useless detail - - sorry - - but the basic upshot is that today's playlist comes courtesy of WFUV. It's a pretty cool public radio station from Fordham University in NYC that plays a lot of alt-country, folk and, gulp, adult alternative. (You can also listen to WFUV online. Meanwhile, they actually archive their playlists. To find out the exact names of the songs I heard this AM, all I had to do was go online and select the timeslot for a full list of the tracks. Do all radio stations do this? Amazing.)

The Grateful Dead - "Sugar Magnolia"
Love 'em or hate 'em, what a great summer song. Believe it or not, my friend's car is a convertible and this song had me wishing the top was down.
Gnarls Barkley - "Who's Gonna Save My Soul"
I really liked their Violent Femmes' cover "Gone Baby Gone" from their debut album, but I think I'm over Gnarls Barkley.
Iron & Wine - "House By The Sea"
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - "Answer Me"
This got a lot of love from the mainstream critics. Sharon has a big, bold gospel-like voice, but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.
Chris Isaak - "Wicked Game"
Odd blast from the past. Of course, all I could think about was the video. Wonder why?



Ingrid Michaelson - "The Way I Am"
Hello, Norah Jones wannabe. Still, a very pretty song - - and she's from Staten Island.
The Subdudes - "(You'll Be) Satisfied"
Kathleen Edwards - "Six O'Clock News"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 8

Total minutes of music (approx.): 40
Song with the most previous plays: "Sugar Magnolia" - 7
Songs I heard on WFUV that are also on my iPod: 2; "Sugar Magnolia," "House By The Sea"
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I drove!




















And I saw this on the side of a van. What the f*@k!




2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I think a lot of radio stations are doing this now. I particularly like to listen to KEXP out of Seattle.

I never did get into Gnarls Barkley.

I'm going to see Iron and Wine tonight in fact!

Uncle E said...

Ditto on the Gnarls Barkley.