Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Quarter To Three (Day 65)

Hüsker Dü - "Beyond The Threshold"
The Velvet Underground - "White Light/White Heat"
Bishop Allen - "Quarter To Three"
The Shins - "Girl Sailor"
Fugazi - "Polish"
Shelby Lynne - "Track 12"
Grandaddy - "L.F.O."
The Killers - "Interlude"
T Bone Burnett - "Blinded By Darkness"
The Beastie Boys - "Jimmy James"
"This next one, is the first song on our new album..." And so begins the Beastie's great album Check Your Head - - with this sample from Cheap Trick's At Budokon. This album, like many great albums, brings me right back to that time and place when it was basically all I listened to. It was the summer after my sophomore year in college (1992, for anyone who wants to compute just how past my prime I am) and I was living in Philadelphia with some friends. With its anti-grunge rap and funk sound, along with the fact that it's such a great party record, Check Your Head really was the perfect soundtrack to that summer. And somehow I never tired of it, even though it was played literally non-stop where I worked that summer. Where? Okay, I'll tell you, but realize this disclosure is even more embarrassing than the fact that The Killers and Shelby Lynne appeared on today's playlist. I worked here. Don't knock it, I bought a lot of flannel shirts at a remarkable discount. (Please note: This was waaaay before the ironic T-shirt was hipster couture.)
Pulp - "Bar Italia"
Jim Noir - "Eanie Meany 2"
Devendra Banhart - "Queen Bee"
This song is dedicated to my daughter. Because the "Queen Bee" is a character in an episode of Dora she has watched three straight days in a row. And because I accidentally dislocated her elbow. Don't call child services. It's a fairly common injury. She's fine.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13

Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays: "Quarter To Three," "Girl Sailor" (tie) - 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: The humidity was only 30%!

No comments: